Critical Challenges Facing Business and IT Today
I was looking through some presentations I gave five years ago and found a list of critical challenges facing Business and IT. These problems could be solved using a business rules approach and BR technology. I'm afraid many companies that haven't climbed aboard the business rules train still face many of these challenges today.
Now that I'm blogging, I thought it would be a good idea to "externalize" this list and make it available on the Web. I'd like to keep adding to this list over time. And of course I welcome your suggestions or additions.
Critical Challenges Facing Business Today
- Compliance with external regulations/laws and with internal policies/rules
- Ability to change business rules instantly
- Managing knowledge
- Managing business rules
- Re-engineering and simplifying business rules and business processes
- Product development time to market
- Application development time to market
Critical Challenges Facing IT Today
- Dealing with rapid business change and increasing complexity
- Time to market
- Increasingly complex business rules
- Changing or adding business logic can break existing logic
- Business rules aren't properly documented
- Business logic duplicated across systems
- Building flexible systems that can support unknown future requirements.
- Many systems today limit what the business can do
- We don’t know the rules in our systems, yet these systems run the business
- Existing rules may actually be inherited system constraints
- Different IT units document business rules differently, if at all
- Business people speak business rules, yet IT speaks data and code
- Managing knowledge, especially business rules
The business rules approach and business rules technology can help solve each of these problems.